Saturday, September 11, 2010

2 Miles in 3 Minutes

Grandparents, Friends and Family with squeamish stomachs, you may not want to look at the next photo...

Yesterday morning around 9:45am. I voluntarily jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Well, Almost perfectly good. It was being piloted by my good friend and former roommate Lloyd. It was an experience unlike anything I had ever done. I have had my adrenaline pumping before with Rock Climbing, Riding a Motorcycle, Mountain Biking, Rappelling, Rigging, just hanging out with Mike and Bobby... but this was a whole different kind of rush. I got to sit up front with Lloyd as he piloted us up to 10,000 feet. We kicked open the door, put a foot on the wheel strut and jumped. There was no danger music or a bad guy chasing me from another plane, not was I rescuing an infant that had accidentally fallen out of an airplane without a parachute because of a careless game of 'Catch the baby' in the back of a cargo plane. It was actually really quiet. There was nothing but the rush of the wind as we fell. After 45 seconds or so, the instructor pulled the rip cord and instantly we slowed down and it became silent around me. I could even hear the guy second pair of jumpers yelling about 100' from me. We flew around and came up on the landing zone. It was really smooth, we hit our mark and slid to a stop. I have know for awhile that Skydiving was something that I wanted to do. It was even greater for me that my really good friend got to be the one that gave me the one-way plane ride up to 10K feet.

I also got to hang out at the airfield all day while Lloyd flew others up to jump. After the day was over, he gave me a quick tour of the Hampton's from ground level. It looked a little bit different. The house certainly looked bigger from the street... Then we stopped at a Surf Shack and had some Mussels. They were mighty tasty. I would go back and get them anytime. After the light dinner, it was time to drive back to the city. We got back around 9 or 9:30 and I was completely exhausted. I tried to do a little reading, but I just ended falling asleep. Today, I got up, installed some shades in my apartment, did a little cleaning and organizing and ended up at the coffee shop to use their free Internet to inform you all that I am still alive. On Tuesday, I get my own Internet so I won't need to take the walk to write. Anyways, off to acquire some couches so I can sit down on something in my apartment besides the counter tops and the bed...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment