Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day at School

I think it is official, I am now a grown-up...

Today was the first day working on 'The Scottsboro Boys'. It went well but it was very surreal at the same time. It was an entirely new experience for me. I am always used to working on a show or in a shop where I can go to others and ask questions about the particular show I am working on. Not anymore... Now, I am the one who has to interpret the plot and make the daily decisions as to how to build things. Yea, there are people who are higher than me in the food chain on the show, but they do not come to the shop everyday. They have trusted me to make sure everything gets done correctly and on time. To make things even more exciting, I am now dealing with the fact that other people (producers and such) have put money into this show expecting that everything goes according to schedule so that it can be successful. So, that means that I have to do it correctly the first time...

That being said. I know that I am very lucky to be working in a field that I love spending time in. I also realize that I am very lucky that all the work that I have done the past 3 to 4 years is paying off. I looked around the shop today and realized that I was one of the youngest people working prepping a show. On top of that, I was not only prepping a show, I was the head on a major Broadway production. I also know that I would not be where I am without all of the help people have given me, especially in the last year. I would not have been able to get this job without the Managers, Actors, Technicians and other Electricians that I have worked with and learned from. I know that I will never be able to repay them for the mentoring that they did without even realizing it. I can't wait until I am in the position to help someone else trying to break into the business. You know, the whole 'pay it forward' thing...

Anyways, I am going to keep it short. The first day went well (I will write more about what we are actually doing in the shop later). I didn't blow up anything expensive or kill anyone. They are even letting me come back tomorrow to keep on playing with the other grown-ups! I don't think I looked like more of an idiot than I usually do, so I got that going for me.

Thank you to everyone who has been on this journey with me so far. It isn't over yet, it is just beginning...

Thanks for reading, more later

No comments:

Post a Comment